Orchard Park, NY Resources
Alto Home Inspection LLC, a home inspection company in Orchard Park, has put together this collection of helpful information for residents and home buyers in Orchard Park, NY.
Orchard Park is in the southern half of Erie County, NY and is positioned well south of the more congested areas to the north of town. You will find that Orchard Park has a more relaxed lifestyle than some parts of WNY, and the area affords homeowners more space and the opportunity to purchased wooded lots and tree-lined streets.
The Village of Orchard Park is the location where Quaker settlers established themselves in 1803. Although it was originally known as “Potters Corners”, it was renamed at a later date to its present name. Today, the village’s population hovers around 3,200, and is by far the most walkable part of the town. Families can spend an easy morning or afternoon in the village, grabbing coffee, snacks and lunch, all while walking less than a city block.
Driving to downtown Buffalo from Orchard Park is less than a 20-minute trip, and makes for an easy commute for workers and a fast way to find A+ restaurants, that doesn’t mean that O.P. doesn’t stand on its own as a great place to live.
Major Employers in Orchard Park
- K-12 Education – The largest employer in Orchard Park happens to be the Orchard Park Central School District.
- Light Industry – A number of small manufacturers have made Orchard Park their homes, producing a range of products from small components, to air & space and weapons defense systems.
- Healthcare – Outpatient healthcare abounds in the village and town. The University at Buffalo, Buffalo Medical Group and numerous private practitioners can be found in town.
- The Bills – Everyone knows that the Buffalo Bills call Orchard Park their home! The stadium can be found on Abbott Rd., between Southwestern Blvd. and Big Tree Rd. Be smart and avoid this area before and after football games, unless you want to be stuck in traffic.
K-12 Schools in Orchard Park
The Orchard Park Central School District is responsible for all public schools in town. Although there are three religiously-affiliated private schools in town, we don’t include information about them here.
The school district traces its roots to 1806, when Didymus Kinney bought the land for the first school in the 18-Mile Creek valley.
Facts about K-12 schools in Orchard Park:
- Over 4,800 students are enrolled in total
- 4 elementary schools, located on Eggart Rd., Ellicott Rd, Davis St. and Sheldon Rd.
- A single middle school, on Lincoln Dr.
- One high school, located on Baker Rd., in the village of Orchard Park
Although Orchard Park isn’t exactly a shopping destination for the masses, there is definitely opportunity to purchase whatever you may need for your home, your road trips, school supplies and gifts.
Make sure to consider these possibilities before venturing too far out of town to shop:
- Orchard Park Auto Row, on Southwestern Blvd. – Here you will find several auto dealers concentrated into a short section of Southwestern Blvd., near Milestrip Rd.
- Buffalo Rd. in the Village – Several boutique shops are located along this strip of road. You can find excellent furniture, flowers for special occasions and gift.
- McKinley Mall – Despite the decline of the shopping mall, you can find many stores and restaurants at the corner of McKinley Pkwy. and Milestrip Rd.
Fun Activities in Orchard Park
- Chestnut Ridge Park – Located a few miles south of Ellicott Rd, Chestnut Ridge Park is a 1,230 acre wooded wonderland, named after the large number of wild chestnut trees located there, where friends and families can enjoy a variety of activities year-round. Here are a few opportunities:
- Hiking – Miles of paved and woodland trails are available
- Downhill toboggan riding in the winter – The park has an amazing toboggan run that is the best anywhere
- The Casino – This historic building is a great place to warm up in the winter, have lunch and meet up with family and friends while taking in a great view of Downtown Buffalo.
- Eternal Flame Falls – This natural methane torch that hides behind a gentle waterfall is truly a gem to Western New York.
- The Buffalo Bills – In 2019 The Bills entered the playoff for the first time in many years. Let’s show up and support them!
- Green Lake – Green Lake is located across from the Orchard Park County Club and is a relaxing place to fix, take a casual walk or jog.
- During the warmer months, find fresh veggies and home baked items at the Orchard Park Farmer’s & Artisan Market
- Play a Round of Golf – Orchard Park offers both the Harvest Hill Golf Course and the (private) Orchard Park County Club. Both are excellent choices for the golf enthusiast.
- In the fall, have fun at the village’s Oktoberfest
Send us a Message